Monday, August 06, 2007

Mental Jukebox - incidental music or revenge of the Id?

This has almost nothing to do with Mollie dog, except inasmuch as she might occasionallyset it off, so to speak - but I felt the need to share.
I basically have music playing in my head most of the time. Usually it's something I've heard on the radio, or it's triggered by something I see, something that someone says, or it's just random. When I opened my A-level results, it played 'China in your hands' (T'Pau) - a particularly appropriate choice, I thought.
This morning, it was apparently randomly playing 'Valerie' by Stevie Winwood.

But by far the most bizarre subconscious choice, and one which recurs on a disturbingly regular basis, is this:

The 1973 Swedish Eurovision Entry

I saw a video of it once at a friend's house in Sweden, I think it was in 1985 or something and there was a retrospective of Swedish Eurovision entries on TV. I'm assuming that the only reason that this particular song stuck in my head is because of these rather charming lyrics:

I am blue and I long for your caress
your breasts are like swallows in nesting

I suppose I should be grateful this is pretty much the only 'schlager' it plays, with the exceptions of Abba's 'Waterloo', Katrina and the Waves 'Walking on Sunshine' and very, very occasionally, Carola Häggkvist's 'Främling' (1983).

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Weird :-) . Fun to see Clabbe as a young man, he's Mr. Wrinkles these days. I also get the odd song in my head and can't get rid of it. Though these days it's mostly rhymes I do with/to the dog (YES I am a little strange ;-) ).

Kerrio said...

okaaay - that's scarey! And I watched it....

Anonymous said...

Kudos for the Eurovision song, Em (it's worrying what information our grey matter keeps stored). My common 'looped jukbox' or 'stuck record' seems to be 'Windmills of your mind'(I know, a suitable case for treatment) though my tortuous version seems to have a minimum of 25 verses. If I somehow hear a bit of it somewhere it can get stuck for days.My partner has been singing a single line from an unknown song only heard in passing on the radio for TWO days now. Thankfully I've now discovered what it is and a brief cure may be at hand.

Em said...

Oh no, that's triggered the jukebox again!! *scurries off to find alternative music to play*