Friday, August 03, 2007

Jack Russell? Parson Russell? What's the difference?

My original cunning plan for today was to show you a picture of Mollie Dog refusing to get out of bed, and give it a witty caption. Unfortunately, I foolishly switched the camera on after pointing it at the head and legs poking out from under the duvet, and the sound of the lens extending woke her up - and she got out of bed! I suppose now I know how to wake her up in the mornings... and next time I'll switch the camera on before I go anywhere near Mollie!

So - my backup plan is to consolidate in one place all the links to sites where I've read about the history of the JR breed. If I had more time and energy I'd write an actual article, but I'll just give you the links and let you come to your own conclusions for the moment - do let me know what you think though, as I find it all somewhat confusing.
I do find it interesting that the Jack Russell Club of Great Britain say, on their
History page,

"The Jack Russell Terrier of today is still able to perform the functions it was originally bred to do. It has longer legs which enable it to run with the hounds."


If you read their breed standards, Mollie is way off - her nose is too long, her head too round, her tail probably too long plus it's not straight, her elbows stick out too far, she's far too timid. Mind you, her inherent Terrier bravery is coming out more and more - she was giving the monsters in the garden what for again last night (well, you never know - they might attack at any time!!).


Other sites with information about the breed are:


The AKC and UKC recognition of Jack Russell is in general staunchly opposed by working dog clubs such as the JRTCA and JRGB:



In my opinion, the move by the UK KC and AKC to give the two different sized variations different breed names and set a conformity driven by looks alone is proving horrendously confusing, especially since no-one quite seems to agree on the names.
Some rescue centres and breeders are now calling the long-legged variety such as Mollie a Parsons Russell, some just call her a JR, some a Russell..*shrug* Well, she's registered with her insurance and chip companies as a JR, but we just call her Mollie. I don't think she conforms to any breed standard, but she's a wonderful pet.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Well. In Sweden, the breed was only recognized by the Kennel Club 'as a breed' in 2002. Before, JR owners had inofficial breed clubs and the JR was deemed "mixed breed" in the eyes of the SKC.

Here, the short legged ones are called Jack Russell Terrier. The long legged ones are called Parson Jack Russell.

Now there is a third variety here, sort of "middle length legs" and they call it Australian Jack Russel Terrier. Weird.

Anyhow! Got to thinking about Rystals and Crunes just now as I read your comment in my blog. We did have a lot of fun :-) . Back in the day; thanks again for helping me write that stupid term paper. I've had a lot of use for that in terms of composition, that's for sure.

LarryS said...

Its certainly an interesting breed to research, theres so many differing opinions!
Here for example on the Wiki link theres:
The Parson Russell Terrier is primarily a show dog, and is rarely found in the hunt field.

Now I would have thohght that a long legged variety would be easier to work with on a hunt, they certainly seem more agile. I would have thought that its the short legged dog that is the show dog, where aesthetics come before function.
I'm sure the Reverend Russell would disapprove of the short legged development, which appears to be a JR crossed with a dachshund!
Theyre still nice dogs of course, but I prefer me long legged dogs!

Em said...

According to the JRGB the long legged one is the norm! I also read some where that the short legged one was bred for ratting, whereas the long legged one is fundamentally a fox hound... at the end of the day, though, Mollie's never going to work or be shown, so it doesn't really matter - it's just interesting that there's no consensus!!

Em said...

Helena - don't mention it. The pizza made it all worthwhile, although I've never seen the word 'dichotomy' in the same light... I think we worked quite well as a team!

Unknown said...

Yes we did! It's the story of my life that I have my very best and most loved friends abroad! Btw, I'm just like you, the word "dichotomy" just cracks me up when I see it anywhere (which is luckily not that often!).

Anonymous said...

Actually the short legged jack russell is better for fox hunting, as they tend to have a smaller chest width and can fit down foxholes. A long legged jack russell is essentially useless for this type of hunt.