Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Stop! Thief!

Since we got Mollie dog, I've moved the cat bowls onto the dining table so that Mollie can't get at them. The cats get fed a pouch between them twice a day, and have biscuits down the rest of the time, and Mollie LOVES the biscuits. The reason the cats only get a pouch between the three of them is that I feed them Nature's Menu, which is extremely good quality, but isn't exactly the cheapest food around. It's very tasty, apparently. I wouldn't feed them meat at all but they get very upset if we give Mollie meat and they don't get any - to the extent that they will actually steal it from under her nose. While she's eating.

You would think that a small terrier wouldn't be able to get onto a dining table with all the chairs pushed in and table cloth on. After all, even the cats find that the addition of a table cloth makes it a bit trickier.

But you'd be wrong.

Last night, with all the cats in the living room, I heard crunching from the kitchen. It sounded like the kind of crunching that comes from a small dog with a mouth crammed full of tiny cat biscuits, eating as fast as possible because they know it's only a matter of time before they get caught.

It was.

I snuck in (I'm good at sneaking), and tried to keep a straight face while shouting "Get DOWN!!". I only had to say it once. She dutifully jumped down, still crunching, and ran into the living room, tail between legs, straight to the hall door - which I opened, saying " GO TO BED" in my most authoritative voice. She ran upstairs and we heard our bed creak.

I closed the door and looked at Tracy, who had been watching from the armchair - at which point we could contain ourselves no longer, and burst out laughing. I can't explain quite what it was that was so funny - possibly it was the way that Mollie just decided that she should go to bed. Possibly it was the way she was still munching cat biscuits as she ran upstairs.

Any ideas how we can stop her getting at the biscuits? Putting them on the kitchen side isn't an option...

6 comments:

Kerrio said...

Dog on the table? The same one that sleeps on the desk? And you are surprised?

You're not a wolfie are you?

ROFL.

Em said...

Ok, you've got me. Except she can only get on the desk via my lap and there's nothing round the table that's particularly easy to use as a step. I think she levitates...

Anonymous said...

:-) LOL

Anonymous said...

Do you have a shelf that the cats could get onto, but not Mollie?

I can totally identify with the hilarity though - there's something about a naughty terrier!

Em said...

graham - unfortunately not. And with the boys being a bit old and creaky now, anything like that would have to have steps or a ladder, which means unless it was only 2 inches wide, Mollie would still be able to climb it.

Sigh...

Who needs TV when you can have pets?

Chapstaff said...

I wouldn't help you even if I could. It's tooo funny.

I haven't laughed like that for ages