Thursday, July 19, 2007

Dominance

Graham has been discussing dominance on his blog after I mentioned that we, too, wrestle with our dog!

When we first got Mollie, I was very worried about dominance and was all for making sure Mollie was always on the floor, not allowed on the furniture etc as a lot of people say that encouraging any kind of bossy or pseudo aggressive behaviour can cause your dog to become dominant and basically potentially dangerous. But then I read about wolves and watched that TV program where that bloke basically 'became' a wolf, and I thought, hey - among dog and wolf packs, the leader still plays with the others, and it's an integral part of the bonding process. So, Mollie gets occasional reminders about walking behind us when going upstairs, and she gets fed after the cats, and has to sit or lie down for treats etc, but we play with her as if we're dogs. To start with, she didn't know what to do - if you went down on all fours, growled and bounced her, she'd run away - but now she bounces back and plays properly!! Sometimes it looks and sounds for all the world like she's biting my hand off, but leaves nothing but a slightly damp patch - and she always stops when we stop. Ultimately, I guess it depends on the relationship you have with your dog and on your dog's character. We have to be on our guard as Mollie will occasionally push the boundaries a bit (she IS a terrier, after all!), but it's fairly easy to put her in her place ("BED!!" usually works!), and she was doing that when we first got her anyway. And a knock on effect of us playing with her like this is that she's much much happier playing with other dogs now!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi there Em!

I think as long as you're sensible you don't have to worry about dominance. You see dogs in the neighborhood or on TV that have been allowed to run the household, based on their owner's FEAR of their pet... or the owner's treating the dog like a human child. As long as you're consistent (key to all pack leader behavior, whether human or canine) the dog will nog become confused. It sounds good that you're playing together. A game that my dogs love is me pretending to be scared and letting them chase me round the house. They love this and we always finish with a big hug-and-kiss-fest.

Take care and lots of love /Helena

ps let me know when the wedding is on so I can plan -- you know me, the hysterical planner...